Growth Mindset: Thoughts

Listening to Carol Dweck's perspective on the "growth mindset" was very eye-opening. I had not heard of this until today, but I think that I have been subconsciously using this mind set during school. I actually agree with Dr. Dweck when she said that things being easy are not always a good thing. I grew up in a very small town in Oklahoma and oftentimes I was not challenged during school. When I got to college, I felt like I was in a whole new world because I was actually being challenged to learn. 

I also think that the growth mindset is essential to have in school. Since I was not challenged as much as I should have been growing up, I was not prepared to take chemistry at OU. Needless to say, I epically failed my first exam and did not know how to react. I do think that I have a growth mindset though because instead of withdrawing or deciding that there is nothing I can do, I went to tutoring and put even more time and effort into my studying so that I would do better on the next exam. I ended up making an A in chemistry that semester. 

One class that I am very excited to learn about this semester is my abnormal psychology class. This class goes into all of the mental disorders that people have which I find fascinating. I will definitely apply the growth mindset to that class so that I can be successful. I am a little worried about that class because it is a senior level class, but I know that if I have the right mindset going in that I can do anything. 

"Success is a Mindset" from EMB Business Solutions

I would like to continue reading about the growth mindset and how it affects children's academic and social performances. I think it is something that we can all learn from and benefit from!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Criminal Analysis Enthusiast

Week 3 Story: The Town of Ishmiel