Reading Notes: Czech Folktales, Part A

Sleep John was fun to read. There were many mythical creatures like dragons and kings and queens. There was also some humor in the story as well when John fell asleep in the cart with wolves. I definitely think this one was my favorite short story out of this entire collection of stories. I think it would be fairly easy to manipulate and make into my own story and I have several ideas started already. I would like to turn the cart from the story into a train. For example John would come across a parked train and hop in and fall asleep. In the train I would put snakes instead of wolves, and then I would change the type of forests that the Queen goes through. I think this story appealed to me so much because it is a spin off of the 12 dancing princesses which I grew up hearing from my grandmother. I even watched the movie that Barbie had some out about it. 

I noticed that most of the folktales have lots of dialogue between characters, and they have almost magical qualities like the silver forest and some even mention hell. I need to be sure and add more dialogues to my stories because I do lack in that area. I just am a little unsure of how to compose it, but I will use the readings for guidance. 

I also noticed that the names of the characters match the mythical setting. They are not your average names and even they way they talk they do not speak how we normally would in America. I think the story flows better when the dialogue, characters, and the setting match. It makes it more cohesive. 

Overall, I think this was a good category to do my reading over and I was inspired by several stories to help grow my story for this week and my story project for this semester! I actually really liked the Czech folktales and I will honestly probably read part B for the second reading this week. 

Bibliography:

Author - Josef Baudis

Title - Czech Folktales

Link - Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook: Myth-Folklore Unit: Czech Folktales

Image by BYU Fairy Tales: 12 Dancing Princesses

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Criminal Analysis Enthusiast

Week 2 Story: The Enchanted Roses