Reading Notes: Nigerian Unit Part A

For this week's reading I chose to do the Nigerian Unit

Most of the stories under this unit involve animals that engage in "foolish imitation" to trick another animal. These stories involve clever thinking and cunning actions. I think this is very similar to my story I created on my portfolio because I made the mouse trick the snake so he would not be eaten. My story did not combine both humans and animals thought. I think the eastern side of the world loves to tell folktales with animals. These folktales are short in length (about 300-1000 words) and sometimes have some humor in them. My favorite story from Part A was The King who Married the Cock's Daughter. The king married an animal which is not something we would typically see in our world today, but it was interesting to me that the king died from a broken heart. This folktale could be used to explain why it is that people do not marry animals (whether this be right or wrong). 

I definitely enjoyed doing one of these foolish imitation stories for my latest portfolio assignment. I have not received any feedback on it yet but I am sure I will get some that will point me in the right direction to help mold my story. I would not be opposed to trying another version of one of these stories because I think they are quite fun to make! One thing I think I would be to focus on would be how to connect these stories. I have not figured out how to smoothly connect the trickery in my story. Maybe I could change my story to include both humans and animals for my next revision. Overall, I really enjoyed the Nigerian unit reading!

I chose this photo from one of the Nigerian stories because I liked the image of a mother and her child

Bibliography: author - Elphinstone Dayrell, Folk Stories From Southern Nigeria, 1910

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Criminal Analysis Enthusiast

Week 2 Story: The Enchanted Roses