Extra Credit Reading: Week 11

I failed to do the reading for this week so I am taking this extra credit reading to make up for the one I did not do. The Native American unit is the one that I used for this reading. 
This story was from the Tejas Legends. I had no idea that there were Tejas Legends that originated from Texas! The Tejas Legends were very simple, but I liked that about them. The simplicity of these stories makes me think they are geared more towards children or young adults. These would be something that I think adults would tell children before bed.
My favorite short story from this unit was How The North Wind Lost His Hair. The title of this one really grabbed my attention (although I do not like that the wind is masculine but not the point). These stories had a lot of personification which gives life the things that are not human. This is also what makes me think they are made for children to hear or read because it contains so much personification. I really like that about them and it made them fun to read! This story also involved a battle between the winds which most of the other stories had some type of battle or something in them too. 
These stories were also very short in length. They had a simple story and a simple resolution. I don't always enjoy reading things that are very complex or twisted, so these stories were a nice change and I liked the easiness of them all. 
Overall, I really enjoyed reading this part of the Native American unit and I think it would be fun to put my spin on one of these stories. They are simple but fun and I think there is a lot of opportunity with these. 

This image is from Flickr and was taken by Malcs P

Bibliography:

Author: Florence Stratton (1936)
Title: When the Storm God Rides: Tejas and Other Indian Legends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Criminal Analysis Enthusiast

Week 7 Story: The Snake and the Mouse