Reading Notes: Beowulf Part A/B

I chose to read Beowulf for the second reading this week. This is a hero story (which I love). All of the small stories from this category were written as poems which made them pretty easy to read and fun.

My favorite part about Beowulf was his battles. He first had to battle a monster named Grendel who was terrorizing his home. Beowulf bravely went and tore his arm from his body (that is one strong man), but then Grendel's mate came to avenge his death so Beowulf once again had to battle to protect his people. I thought the story was over when he then defeated Grendel's mate, but then a dragon came into the story because someone stole his treasure. 

You can tell in these older British and Celtic stories that battle or war is a very common theme with them which makes sense because that is exactly what was happening in the real world around these authors. The whole world was at war with each other; constantly fighting over land and resources. It seems like the only issues in these plotlines are that a hero must emerge and avenge his people. That's it. That's the drama of these stories. It was the same theme in the Robin Hood story that I read yesterday. 

If I was to do a story about this unit then it would definitely have to include a hero and some sort of battle. Maybe I could include some sort of mythical creature that causes terror or destruction. Either way, I look forward to do the storybook project over this unit and I think I am going to modify this story because it would be easy but also fun to do. 


This photo shows a dark dragon by Wikimedia Commons

Bibliography:

Author - Henry Pitz (1933)

Title - The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs

Link - File:Easy origami dragon for beginners- how to paint a dragon for beginners.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Criminal Analysis Enthusiast

Week 7 Story: The Snake and the Mouse