Reading Notes: Robin Hood Part A

The section I decided to read from the British and Celtic unit was Robin Hood. I feel like a lot of people probably picked this story section because most of us have grown up hearing about the Robin Hood stories. These were very different than the ones I grew up hearing however. 

Honestly, the only enemy that I recognized was the Sheriff of Nottingham. The others were brand new to me which was a nice surprise. I did not know what a ballad was before reading this unit. A ballad is basically short stanzas that tell a story that are passed on orally from one tradition to the next. It really gives a structure and a rhythm when reading. I really liked the ballad shape of writing over some of the other things I have read for this class.

I also noticed that some of the stories had capitalized words or italicized words kind of randomly. Of course they were not random, but at first they seemed like it. They were really used for emphasis to show something important. 

I also noticed that the wording was very old fashioned. I had to actually pause and look up some of the words because I could not figure them out. If I used this unit for a story I would actually have to really try hard to make sure the vocabulary is old style and not something super common. I think it would be fun but be really challenging. 

Overall, I do not think I will be using this reading to model my story this week. I liked the format of Robin Hood and enjoyed reading it because it was so different than my childhood, but it was not something that I would like to recreate in my own way. 

This picture is of an old time Robin Hood by Pixabay

Bibliography:

Author - Francis James Child

Title - Robin Hood (The English and Scottish Popular Ballads 18882-1898)

Link - Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook: Robin Hood: Little John (mythfolklore.blogspot.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Criminal Analysis Enthusiast

Week 7 Story: The Snake and the Mouse