Reading Notes: Lang I Puss in Boots (extra credit since I missed the deadline)

Since I missed my second reading for this week I decided to use the extra credit option to make up for it. I chose to do the reading over Lang I because it involved stories like "Puss in Boots" which I recognized from Shrek. I thought it would be neat to learn where the original came from and how it compares to the story I grew up with. 

Puss in Boots originated in France which I had no idea of. The language is old and instead of saying donkey they say "ass". You can also tell how old the original is because it talks about things like the "mill". I thought it was interesting that Puss in Boots could talk to his master in English. This personification was very similar to Shrek. What was different in this story was that the cat was getting money so his master would not lose his home. In Shrek, Puss in Boots was just a good little thief. 

Puss in Boots used his cleverness to trick the King and steal his clothes. This turned into a little trickster story which I love to read! If I wasn't doing the Robin Hood story for my final one I would've used this reading to make my own story!

This photo is by Wikimedia Commons and shows their version of "Puss in Boots"

Bibliography:

Author - Andrew Lang (1889)

Title - The Blue Fairy Book: Puss in Boots

Link - Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook: European: Puss in Boots (mythfolklore.blogspot.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Criminal Analysis Enthusiast

Week 7 Story: The Snake and the Mouse